Friday 30 September 2011

Teaching under the tree!



 
Have few minutes to update you meanwhile someone pick me up for the weekend from Zomba to go to the lake.

First of all want to correct my Chichewa (Malawian language) , is not uzulu but Azungu (white people).

Second and crutial: my passport is amended already! The Consul told me I would need to go to Zimbabwe (a different country) to order a new temporally passport, since Spain doesn't have and embassy in Malawi. I was not looking forward to that, as you can imagine! Well, I went  to the immigration office in Zomba and  as one more example of their kindness and generosity the fix my passport and even made a case for it to keep it safe! They didn't ask for any money, but of course I gave some to the person who fixed it. So grateful to them!!!! That wouldn't happen in UK or Spain, would it?

When I wrote the title: Teaching under the tree I actually meant it!. They have a half built school, just haft wall and no roof so we are teaching under a tree next to the future school. They put a plastic on the ground and sit down, we take the blackboard out from the church near there. The teacher carry a bag with all the stationary to the school and back. I have taught for two days this week. In the morning they are small children and prefer singing and playing. In the afternoon they are around 10-12 and they are really looking forward to learn. They, understand quite well English and are very smart. The shame is they don't have the stationary needed . Only half of them have a notebook, the other half write in a sheet and use a piece of cupboard as a support to write or even their lap. 

I am staying with a family and they are lovely. The second day they fixed the window for me. The removed the cupboard and put a glass and even a curtain :) Yesterday they brought a table and a chair into my bedroom and they don't have any for them in the house.They have two lovely children Matrilda (she is 3) and Effort (he is 9). The girl love singing and dancing and she is really good! you have to see her moving her hips! and she is a really clever girl! Effort is so nice too and stay always next to me. 

Today, I am going for the weekend to the Lake Stars Music Festival in lake Malawi with some volunteers and the coordinator of the project. I am looking forward to it!!! And they are going to be two Spanish bands as far as I know.

One thing I still need to sort out is about the food. I am not eating the local food yet, what means my diet is basically bread, peanut butter and macadamia honey, and biscuits...hopefully this weekend can have some nice meals.

Oh did I mention that these people drive on the wrong side of the road as well? 

So much to tell...

Will try to come to the internet next weekend and probably update some pictures.


6 comments:

  1. Yea, Yea, Yeea ... It was hard to believe that you would be away of any party for 2 months :)

    It´s easy to see thru your words that you enjoy what you are doing, that´s great; well except the food... be careful with your low calorie diet :))

    Glad you fix your passport issue and hope to see you soon ... in 2 months ;)

    Huge Hug and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanks for the comment.
    Ah,I am having parties here as well :) very different ones though.You don't need music a fancy venue, alcohol or money, just the will of having fun all together as Malawian :D Really enriching experience every single moment!.

    Btw! Don't know who you are...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don´t know who I am, That hurts you know?, so... less than 1 month there and you have already forgotten about people. Did you bring with you the memory pills? :)

    Everybody have seen pictures like those, but knowing that have been made by somebody you "know" is different, it make you feel everything nearest. I think that the Blog has been a good idea.

    Huge Hug and Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ola soy joni
    XDXDXDXDXD
    ace mucho tiempo que no te escribo
    es porque e estado liado
    a y necesito que seas mi traductor
    una pregunta sades frances porque e empezada das
    clase de frances merci jajajajajajajajajajajajaja
    XDXDXDXDXDXD
    y ya a pasado mucho tiempo quiero que vuelvas y ver mi planta carnivora qe no me coma etc
    enel primer tame de mates saque un
    9'5
    y ya no tengo atrasado
    aora mismo e acdado un partido de futbol chapa
    con mi mama
    emos quedado 3-2
    gane jajajajaj
    XDXDXDXDXDXD
    ay un acosa muy chula que es las cosas cistosas de futbol
    a y traete lo tipico de ay lo que quieras
    pero traete algo chulo
    y tambien mi regalo de nadidad
    de cumple aƱos
    y algo extra XDXDXD
    ADIOS TEGO QUE CENAR xdxd ya no escribo mas adios chao etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, as you can see I didn't brought with me my memory pills, and you know my memory is not the best one. I don't forgot about you but really need your name :p

    Will try to upload some more pics soon. I am very glad you enjoy the blog!

    Kisses and hugs too anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Joni!

    Oui, je peu parler un petit peu the franccais.

    Te echo mucho de menos y leo siempre tus comentarios. No te puedo contestar muy amenudo porque no tengo internet aqui :(. No te preocupes que te llevare algo muy chulo de Africa!

    Enhorabuena por la nota de mates y me alegra que te gusten las clases de futbol.

    Aqui tambien juego futbol chapa con los ninos, sabes?

    Te quiero

    ReplyDelete